philmajor (philmajor) wrote in tax_prep,

Making Work Pay Credit and 1098-T

As a graduate student that is not employed by the university I receive a 1098-T for tax purposes. I also receive a stipend that does not have taxes taken out - no W-2.

I did my taxes and since no taxes are taken out during the year I owed $700.00 to the IRS. The other day in the mail I receive a letter from the IRS (that was scary) telling me I am eligible for the Making Work Pay credit and they will be refunding $400.00 of the $700.00 I paid!

I'm thrilled but I think they made a mistake...what should I do?
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded